The welcome population explosion that hit the Baton Rouge area following the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in southeast Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast in 2005 is reflected in the continually expanding communities of Baker and Zachary. Both are now considered suburbs of Baton Rouge and are counted in the Baton Rouge statistical area. These communities in East Baton Rouge Parish, just north of the Capital City, are where homebuyers will find the benefits of small town living combined with big city conveniences.
Residents whose work takes them to Baton Rouge for government, construction and manufacturing jobs say they are grateful to enjoy their leisure time at home in cities that are a short and safe distance from the capital. Baker and Zachary, home to major oil and gas company operations, are known for low crime rates, successful school systems and a selection of property that easily appeals to all architectural tastes.
New communities of country-club-like houses continue to be built in the area, along with the chance to find existing single-family homes, historic cottages, an unusual amount of vacant land suitable for custom construction, and other choices. The current growth spurt of the areas surrounding Baton Rouge has fueled the real estate market like never before.
Homebuyers fond of Louisiana’s natural greenery and peaceful climate have come to appreciate a similar tranquility in Baker and Zachary, which also boast well-respected school systems and a full calendar of entertainment and cultural events for all ages. Zachary also now touts its newest distinction of being named one of the Top 10 Best Towns for Families by Family Circle Magazine.
Baker and Zachary on the Map
Baker (most of zip code 70714) and Zachary (most of zip code 70791) are about due north of Baton Rouge, stretching from east of Scenic Airline Highway toward Joor and Liberty Roads. Both cities are now considered bedroom communities and suburbs of Baton Rouge proper.
View Larger Map
Map of Baker and Zachary, LA with Homes For Sale Marked with Flags
Copper Mill Subdivision three bedroom home on a corner lot - Zachary, LA
Hoe To Get To and From Baker and Zachary
Baker is 9 miles north of Baton Rouge and Zachary is another 4 miles north of Baker. Both are less than 20-minute drives to Baton Rouge proper, with easy access via Airline Highway and parallel scenic byways.
The Baton Rouge Airport is also less than a half hour away, and the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is about 90 minutes to the south. Rail and bus lines are also conveniently located in nearby Baton Rouge and throughout the metropolitan area.
Lake Jolie Vue subdivision home on cul-de-sac with 4.75 acres
and a pond - Zachary, LA
Baker and Zachary Features
The Baker/Zachary area is close to Louisiana’s unlimited recreational choices for hunting, fishing, hiking and biking through wooded lands and thick green bayous.
Both cities include active economic development councils and each is dotted with neighborhood parks. Baker includes golf courses, recreational lakes, dog parks, a downtown amphitheater and is also known for its annual Christmas Parade and the Baker Buffalo Festival fundraiser every fall, with carnival rides, live music, arts and crafts and much more. In Zachary, residents and visitors flock to the Saturday-morning Farmers Market next to City Hall.
The downtown Zachary area is also home of the Historic Village area that includes several restored buildings in one neighborhood, each providing a unified glimpse into the 19th-century appeal of the area — one that still exists today. A historic railroad depot, movie house, firehouse, bank, Town Hall and other structures are linked together to create the popular Zachary museum district.
High Plains Crossing, four bedroom home - Zachary, LA
Baker and Zachary Demographics
- Population: 14,000
- Households: almost 9,000
- Schools: The City of Baker School District includes a total of five elementary, middle and high schools, plus an academic-excelling magnet school for students in grades K through 5. Several other private and parochial schools are also in Baker proper.
- Healthcare: Urgent care centers and clinics are located in the Baker/Zachary area (along with easy access to the many full-service hospitals and clinics less than a half hour away in Baton Rouge proper).
- Churches: Baker has more than three dozen churches of various denominations (more churches per capita than any other city in Louisiana).
- Population: 15,000
- Households: almost 5,000
- Schools: The Louisiana Department of Education has named Zachary the Top School District in the state for more than eight years in a row (eight total public schools, with several other private and parochial schools to choose from).
- Healthcare: The full-service Lane Regional Medical Center is located here, and Zachary is close to additional health care and medical facilities throughout the metropolitan Baton Rouge area.
- Churches: Like Baker, the city is packed with churches of every denomination.